Friday, July 2, 2010

Baby Leo

I know this is really late, but I guess better late than never, right? My due date with Leo was May 18. Since both of my girls came early I was really expecting that he would come early as well. May 18 came and I was still pregnant. I really believe in natural childbirth and I have the philosophy that babies will come when they are ready to come. Well, ELEVEN days later he still had not decided that he was ready to be born. So, I went in to see my midwife (it was Saturday at 1:00 pm) and she tried stripping the membranes. At that point I was dilated to 6 and he was just about as low as he could be, so there really wasn't much left to strip.
My mom had taken my girls for the day so Connor and I went home and thought we would be having a baby within a few hours. Oh, I should also mention that I have my babies at home. Around 6:00 that evening my midwife came over because she too thought that I would be having the baby any time. So, the hours passed and nothing happened. Around midnight we all decided to go to bed. My midwife (Heather) slept on the couch. We all woke up around 8:00 the next morning and there was still no signs that it would happen anytime soon. I had been having contractions for 2 days, but they apparently weren't doing much. I told my midwife she should go home and call me when she gets home from church. Heather kept telling me that she would gladly break the bag of waters and she really felt like that would push me right into active labor. I kept telling her that I will just wait. Finally, Sunday night around 9:00 Connor called Heather and told her to come because he thinks it will be soon. She got here and I had her check to see how far dilated I was. I was only at dilated to 7! I was so discouraged. I felt like I was going to be in labor forever, so I finally agreed to let her break the bag of water.
She broke my water at 10:00 and I immediately went and got back in the birthing pool. Leo was out at exactly 10:20. Those twenty minutes were pretty intense, but it was so worth it. As soon as he came out Connor caught him and then handed him to me. It was one of the most wonderful moments of my life. Connor and I both cried with happiness and relief. Everything went great. He was healthy and weighed a whopping 9 pounds 12 ounces. I couldn't believe I gave birth to such a huge baby!
After he was born Connor and Leo and I went and laid down on our bed and spent the night nursing and bonding. It was such an incredible and beautiful experience I will never forget. I am so grateful for my little (huge) Leo. I love him so much! I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who has blessed me with such wonderful children and such wonderful experiences. Without Him I could not do it!

5 comments:

Kakes

You are amazing, you beautiful woman! Truly amazing! Thank you for inspiring me and making my blissful home birth possible!

It's Miller Time

So sweet! He is so lucky to have come to such a sweet mommy.

Sherry

I admire you so much! I know the way you nurture your sweet children, right from the start, will make a significant difference their lives! Your dad and I can't wait to meet Leo, see our granddaughters, and you & Connor too, of course. :-)

Erin C

Wow Renae!! You are so amazing...I can't wait to meet these little babies some day!

Tennant Family

Wow! I can't believe I still haven't met him...I'm behind. Congratulations! Love you!