Sunday, March 29, 2009

Strength in numbers


This week I had a really cool opportunity to stand up for something I believe in. Most of you know that natural childbirth is very important to me. In Utah there is currently one free standing birth center (where women give birth in a bed and breakfast type setting with a certified nurse midwife who is pretty much a doctor the only difference is she can't perform surgery) and it is under attack. The hospitals are trying to monopolize the birthing industry. They are trying to make the laws for midwives so strict that it would be impossible for a birthing center to open or stay in business. The fact that more and more people are drawn to natural childbirth and midwives is starting to affect hospital's bottom line. It is sad that it all comes down to money. Anyways, almost 150 people showed up to the Utah health facilities committee meeting. There were so many people who showed up to show their support for the birth center that they had to move the meeting to a different room and use microphones. The proposed changes (hospital and birth center's) didn't pass so the laws will stay the same. For the time being a woman in Utah still has the choice of where and how she will give birth to her baby. Even though the changes that would allow even more birth centers to open in Utah didn't pass the fact that so many people stood up for the freedoms they would like to protect really got the attention of the committee. They see that people want the right to choose and they felt like at that time they didn't have enough information to change the laws they also encouraged the midwives to keep fighting for the changes. Even though it didn't end up as I hoped it would it was really inspiring. Here is a link to the KSL news story: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5960679

9 comments:

Trina

That's awesome! I totally wish I would have known about it. I had both my kids naturally with a CNM at a hospital but only because we had insurance. I have seriously considered going to the Birthing Center for my next child if we don't have insurance which might be the case. I'm glad the new law making birthing centers impossible didn't pass. It would just force more women to have births at home (which I'm not totally opposed to either, but for those rare cases hospitals and birthing centers with CNM are probably better. My husband's cousin just had a successful birth at home with a mid-wife. Anyway I'm glad you were able to voice your opinion and you'll have to keep me posted. I'm going to check out that article though.

Renae

Trina-Thanks for your post! That is awesome that you had your kids naturally with a CNM. I actually had my first baby in the hospital too with a CNM and last year I had my second baby at home.

Unknown

Way to go sis! Stand up for what you believe in!

Renae

You said it Dan the man!

Renae
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kakes

It was so awesome to see so many people show up! I kind of wish I'd left my kids with someone so I could have been more involved.
The half of our heads you can see in that picture are totally hot though.
:)

Alea

Good work Renae! That is good you got to add your voice to the cause. Keep up the good work! You're the best!

Renae

Thanks Kakes and Alea!

The Brymers

I had no idea this was happening! Thank you for posting this, I will send it along to my friends!