Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Valentine's day movies- random thoughts

So, the other night for our anniversary Connor and I rented a movie to watch together. I was the one who picked it out it was called "Death defying acts". Surprisingly, it is a romance about Harry Houdini. I thought this would be a great pick since Connor loves Houdini and I was in the mood for a romance. I was actually really disappointed with the movie. It wasn't romantic to me at all. Houdini goes on a trip to Scotland (leaving his wife at home) meets an exotic Scottish woman and falls in love with her (you can guess where it goes from there). I don't know the ending because we eventually just turned it off. It really made me question our society's definition of romance. Some of the most romantic movies I have seen are "Cinderella Man", "Sense and Sensibility", "Pride and Predjudice", and the BBC version of "Jane Eyre". So if you are in the mood for a truly romantic movie this week those are my suggestions. We will be watching "Jane Eyre", that is my all time favorite love story.

5 comments:

Alea

Wow- that Houdini movie sounds awful. Yeah, it's amazing what some people think is "romantic".I haven't seen "Cinderella Man" or "Jane Eyre". I'll have to check them out!

Kakes

I have not seen or read Jane Eyre... which is tragic to me. So maybe that one should be on my list for Valentines as well!
You are always more than welcome to raid our fairly extensive movie collection.

Heidi

Do those movies involve anyone dying???

Renae

Heidi, you crack me up! No, they don't involve anyone dying (at least not that I can think of, but I'm pretty sure).

Sarah

I totally agree! That doesn't sound romantic at all. But Cinderella Man and Jane Eyre are great romantic movies :)